Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Run Without Judgment

I worked out on the treadmill at the Y the other day (WOAH, WHAT?) and let me tell you something. When I work out, my music choice is generally not one that I take great pride in. I love to run to some Flo Rida or Kanye. Throw a little Rihanna and Fergie in there while you're at it. Spice Girls? Bring it. It's like every standard I have about music (Except my abhorrence of Nickelback - that doesn't go away no matter my heart rate) gets thrown out the window for that 30 minutes to an hour that I am running. And I like it.

It doesn't have to be that way. There are a number of songs that are excellent for working out and running that don't ruin your music street cred. Now, let me step up in my own defense here. It's ok for me to love shaking my booty or going for a run to some Spice Girls. That doesn't mean I have a bad taste in music. That just means that I like to have fun no matter what I'm doing and that I'm not afraid to suspend my musical prejudice for a time to do so. It's a positive thing, really. I just really, really, really wanna zig a zig ah every now and then. I'm fun. You'd like me.

Back to my theme. Perhaps you feel that you haven't quite transcended the musical spectrum enough yet to assert your independence in your work out. Perhaps you would be more secure in your musical tastes if you had a solid lists of songs to work out to that were beyond reproach to those who for some reason hold musical power over you. I can help here. I happen to know quite a few really great songs that you can also take on a run. Sometimes, when I need a break from feeling G-L-A-M-O-R-O-U-S during my cardio, I switch to this playlist (*disclaimer - you will want to order these songs on your own to mold to your workout):

Endlessly - Muse
Bandages - Hot Hot Heat
The Restless - The Matches
Hey Driver - Lucky Boys Confusion
Give it Up - Midtown
A Favor House Atlantic - Coheed & Cambria
The Taste of Ink - The Used
Until the Day I Die - Story of the Year
Shimmy Shimmy Quarter Turn - hellogoodbye
Reinventing Your Exit - Underoath
Beating Hearts Baby - Head Automatica
Feeling This - Blink 182
I Believe in a Thing Called Love - The Darkness
Last Night - The Strokes
Somebody Told Me - The Killers

Awesome. Now, who wants to go for a run?

No comments: